5 Tips for Hiring a Moving Company
A moving company is a business that helps you relocate your home or business from one location to another. They offer different services based on your needs and budget, from packing and loading to storage. They can also help with your transportation and insurance needs.
Moving companies can be a great way to save money on moving costs, but there are many things to consider before hiring one. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
1. Ask for a free estimate from several moving companies before signing any contracts.
Most movers will give you an estimate over the phone or on their website, but some will require you to do an inventory of your belongings before they can quote you a price. It’s also helpful to make an appointment for a face-to-face walkthrough of your home. This is more accurate than a virtual visit, but it may cost slightly more than an online quote.
2. Check if the mover is licensed by the FMCSA or your state’s regulatory agency.
All movers that transport cargo in interstate commerce must be licensed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and must carry a Department of Transportation (DOT) number. A DOT number will help you find out if the company is in compliance with safety regulations and whether there have been any complaints against it.
3. Look for a long-distance mover that uses uniformed employees and has a background check and drug screening process for their movers.
If you’re moving across the country, you’ll want to hire a mover that specializes in long-distance moves. This will make sure your goods are safely transported to their destination.
4. Choose a mover with a good reputation and lots of experience.
While there are many great movers in the United States, not all are created equal. Those who are well-established and provide excellent customer service tend to be more reliable, especially for long-distance moves. Some of the best movers in the country include Atlas Van Lines, JK Moving, and American Van Lines.
5. Don’t be afraid to get references from other customers and check with your local chamber of commerce.
A moving company that has good customer reviews and a high number of referrals is a safe bet for any household move. They are likely to know the best way to pack and transport your belongings, and they’ll be able to recommend the best packing materials for your unique items.
6. If you’re planning on getting a full-service move, choose a company that has a team of professionals and has multiple trucks and trailers.
This will ensure that your goods are delivered on time and in the same condition as they were when you moved into your new house. You’ll have less to worry about when the movers arrive, so you can focus on other aspects of the relocation process.
7. Use the 110% rule to protect yourself and your goods when a non-binding estimate is given.